When you lose an important document while travelling in the Central American country of Panama, it can be a major setback. But don’t worry, there are procedures in place to help you report a lost item and get back on track.

If you lose your passport, national identity card, driver’s license, or credit card, the first thing you should do is contact the bank or the corresponding issuing entity. They will be able to help you cancel the lost item and issue a replacement.

Once you have taken care of that, you can fill out a lost document form or a lost item form at the nearest prosecutor’s office. This will help the staff keep track of lost items and hopefully reunite you with your belongings in the future.

If all else fails, don’t forget that you can always reach out to your travel insurance provider. They may also need a copy of the report. For this, you may need a sworn translation of said lost item report. They may be able to help you replace lost items or reimburse you for any expenses incurred as a result of the loss.

Also, you could ask your Embassy to issue a temporary passport for you. You will probably be required to provide them with an original copy of the lost item report along with a certified translation, if needed.

Usually, the Prosecutor’s office has official translators and interpreters available to assist victims of crimes or tourists in Panama. Therefore, bilingual staff members would be assisting you to fill out the form because it must be done in Spanish.

Following these steps will help you deal with a lost item while travelling in the Republic of Panama. Just remember to stay calm and take care of the necessary steps as quickly as possible.

If you need help with the Spanish translation of a lost item report, please send us an e-mail.