If you are thinking about getting married in Panama, you are making a wise decision. Panama is a beautiful country with friendly people, and it offers many advantages for couples who want to get married. In addition to the many stunning locations to hold your civil wedding ceremony, Panama also has a very favorable climate, low crime rates, and a relatively low cost of living in comparison to other countries.
If you are considering getting married in Panama, the following information will be helpful.
1. Marriage Requirements in Panama
To marry your partner in Panama, you will need to provide the following documentation:
– Completed marriage application form
– Copy of your valid passport
– Copy of your birth certificate and a certified translation of your birth certificate if it is not written in Spanish
– Certificate of single status, certificate of freedom to marry or certificate of non-impediment
– Laboratory test results
– Certificate of good health signed and stamped by a Panamanian licensed physician
– If the bride or the groom does not speak Spanish, a Panamanian qualified interpreter would be needed-during the marriage ceremony
– Prior to the marriage, the parties may enter into a prenuptial agreement. For this purpose, it would be advisable to hire a licensed attorney in the Latin American country of Panama.
2. Wedding Ceremonies in Panama
There are many beautiful locations in Panama where you can hold your wedding ceremony. Some of the most popular locations include:
– The lush rainforest of the Boquete Valley
– The stunning beaches of Bocas del Toro
– The colonial town of Casco Viejo in Panama City
Most wedding ceremonies in Panama are conducted by a notary public or a judge, who will also be responsible for registering the marriage with the civil registration office in Panama.
3. Getting Your Marriage Certificate in Panama
Once your wedding ceremony has concluded, the Judge or the Notary will provide you with proof of marriage. This document must be submitted to the civil registration office to complete the marriage registration in the country of Panama.
The cost of a marriage certificate in Panama is $5.00 USD. The marriage record can also be authenticated and apostilled for use abroad.
Same-gender marriage is not allowed in the Republic of Panama. However, efforts have been made in recent years to change the legislation.
If you require a public interpreter for your marriage ceremony or for the translation of your marriage certificate in Panama, please contact us by phone or email.