Temporary permit for educational purposes

This type of immigration permit is issued to a foreigner who wishes to study on a full-time basis in Panama. He/she can pursue studies at the primary, secondary or tertiary levels in a private or public educational institution that is recognized by the Panamanian Ministry of Education.

This permit is issued for a period of one year and may be renewed for succesive periods of one year. The maximum period that a person may remain in Panama on a student visa is six (6) years.

The requirements for a Panama Student Visa are as follows:

  • Power of Attorney and Application.
  • Three (3) photographs.
  • Copy of Passport
  • Certificate of Criminal Record (if applicant is an adult)
  • Certificate of Good Health
  • Certified Check or cashier’s check for US$250.00 in favor of the National Treasury of Panama
  • Personal Background Affidavit Form
  • Letter of Admission from a Panamanian school or university
  • Proof of Tuition Fee Payment
  • Certificate issued by the school or university which contains the applicant’s general information, the duration of the program, class scheudle, the courses enrolled in by the applicant in accordance with his program of study.
  • If the program of study is taught exclusively at night, a certification issued by the school or university stating that the program of study is only taught at night must be provided
  • Proof of financial solvency, which will be verified by means of a document that proves that the student is the holder of a scholarship, a proof of finance, or a bank letter in favor of the applicant or the responsible person, indicating a solvency commensurate with the expenses to be borne to cover the study and living costs.
  • Letter of Responsibility

Observation: In the case of a minor, the application must be submitted by the parents or the person who has full legal custody. In this case, the following documents must be submitted:
– Birth certificate of the minor
– Valid national identity card or permanent resident card of the responsible person or sponsor (parent or legal guardian)

If you need help with this type of application, please contact our immigration lawyers or sworn translators.